The Accomplishments of ONE Include Legislation and Education Access
The ONE Campaign is an advocacy organization of more than nine million people around the world taking action to end extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. The accomplishments of ONE have been achieved through their work of raising public awareness and educating policymakers about the importance of smart and effective policies and programs to save those in the poorest countries. They engage in grassroots and direct advocacy with policymakers and key influencers around the world in support of such policies and programs.
Four of the major accomplishments of ONE include:
- Helping secure at least $37.5 billion in funding for historic health initiatives, including the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria, and GAVI, the Vaccine Alliance.
- Helping secure legislation in the U.S., Canada and the EU on transparency in the extractives sector to help fight corruption and ensure that more money from oil and gas revenues in Africa is used to fight poverty.
- Successfully advocating for official development assistance, which has increased globally by $35.7 billion between 2005 and 2014.
- Helping to get new U.S. legislation passed on energy poverty, such as the Electrify Africa Act of 2016.
ONE highlights 17 global goals for sustainable development including quality education, gender equality and more.
Through the Promising Practices in Refugee Education initiative, a partnership of Save the Children, Pearson and UNHCR, ONE shows how the global community can improve access to education for refugee girls in three ways:
- Promote more gender-friendly education systems
ONE’s focus is to develop a curriculum that includes female role models, encourages children to pursue non-traditional professions and supports teachers to increase their awareness on gender inequality.
- Strengthen digital literacy
Digital skills need to be taught in the classroom and training programs in online research and popular software programs are necessary to supporting refugee youth’s education.
- Explore opportunities to expand Canada’s private refugee sponsorship model
By expanding this program, private sponsorship will allow more people to be resettled at lower costs for national governments.
The accomplishments of ONE are seen in their efforts to empower girls, women, refugees and people in poverty through education, legislation and advocacy. Their goals, policies and programs are a key part of the global fight to end poverty.
– Julia Lee