Create 3 YouTube videos of people asking each of your Congressional leader’s to support a poverty-reduction bill. Each video should address only one Congressional leader. Be creative and make sure the video isn’t just people reading off of a script. Ask yourself if you were the leader or staffer viewing your video, would you be engaged? If the answer is no, create a new version before publishing it online.
Why this is matters:
Congressional offices monitor when the leader is mentioned online. These videos will be seen by the leaders Communications Director and often the leader as well.
Maximize your impact:
1. Come up with a creative idea. Pick a bill or ask your leader to “support the International Affairs Budget.” Draft out what you’ll want people to say in the video.
2. Mobilize people to be in your video. You want to show strength in numbers.
3. Film footage and edit the video. The shorter the better (think 1-3 minutes).
4. Create a YouTube account if you don’t have one and upload the video.
5. Optimize the name and description. Congressional offices receive summaries of where the leader is mentioned online, so it’s key that the video’s title and description name the leader and the bill. For example, name the video “Sen. Tywin Lannister Please Cosponsor the Education for All Act.” In the video description, mention the leaders name, bill and that you’re constituents who support The Borgen Project.
6. Use your social media platform! There’s a good chance your leader’s Communications Director will see the video within 24 hours of you publishing it, but just to make sure the message is received, email the video to their office. You can also post the video to the leader’s Facebook page and tweet your message to the leader!
What the title and verbiage should say:
The title and description needs to mention the leaders name and the bill. The script of the video should also mention the leaders name and ask them to cosponsor the bill.
- Example of a Good Title: “Sen. Tywin Lannister Please Cosponsor the REACH Act.”
- Example of a Good Description: “Sen. Tywin Lannister, we truly believe that you have the ability to make a difference in thousands of lives by cosponsoring the REACH Act. As your constituents and supporters of The Borgen Project, we believe that the values of the district are best represented when we’re improving the lives of those born into extreme poverty.”
This is how it’s done!
Why this video is a huge success…
Here’s another good video example, focusing on the International Affairs Budget: