Too often there is a disconnect between the business world and those around the globe suffering from poverty. These two worlds are perceived as either completely unrelated, or to a certain extent, antagonistic. However, funding global development and combating poverty are smart business choices.
When business promotes development in ailing communities, healthy and prosperous people create new markets. As stated by current Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel, “We need to stop viewing it as aid. It’s an investment.”
Viewing global aid in that vein, it becomes much easier to see how the determination it takes to create a successful business is quite similar to the dedication necessary to fight global poverty.
Here, then, are ten quotes from business executives that you should apply in your daily fight to end poverty worldwide.
1. “When your values are clear to you, making decisions becomes easier.” – Roy Disney
2. “Education’s purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one.” – Malcolm Forbes
3. “Think P.I.G. – that’s my motto. P stands for persistence, I stands for integrity, and G stands for guts. These are the ingredients for a successful business and a successful life.” – Linda Chandler
4. “We’re here to put a dent in the universe. Otherwise, why even be here?” – Steve Jobs
5. “Good business leaders create a vision, articulate the vision, passionately own the vision and relentlessly drive it to completion.” – Jack Welch
6. “Nothing so conclusively proves a man’s ability to lead others as what he does from day to day to lead himself.” – Thomas J. Watson, Sr.
7. “Apply yourself. Get all the education you can, but then, by God, do something. Don’t just stand there, make it happen.” – Lee Iacocca
8. “Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree long before.” – Warren Buffet
9. “I believe if you show people the problems and you show people the solutions, they will be moved to act.” – Bill Gates
10. “Creativity often consists of merely turning up what is already there” – Bernice Fitz-Gibbon
– Taylor Diamond
Sources: ThinkExist, Thought Catalog, BrainyQuote