Yemen is currently facing the largest humanitarian crisis in the world. In fact, 80% of 24 million Yemen citizens are in dire need of humanitarian aid and around 50% of them are children. On top of battling high poverty and famine rates, Yemen has also had to handle the rapid spread of COVID-19. Many healthcare workers are volunteering their services while not receiving a salary. Meanwhile, 10.2 million children do not have access to basic healthcare and now their futures are uncertain. Additionally, the ecology issue in Yemen is partially responsible for political instability. Yemen’s lack of a main water source has led to a low supply of food. This unfortunate problem has created many disputes in rural areas over food and water supplies. The quarrels are responsible for about 4,000 deaths each year. These conflicts have led many American celebrities to advocate for the country. Below are five celebrities who advocate for Yemen.
5 Celebrities Who Advocate For Yemen
- Halsey: Halsey is an American singer, songwriter and activist who advocates on her social media about the humanitarian crisis Yemen is currently experiencing. She shared that she made a $20,000 donation to help the children who are suffering. Halsey encourages her supporters to shed a light on Yemen’s issue by sharing her post and donating.
- George Clooney: Back in 2017, George Clooney, an American actor, film producer, director and activist, began advocating on the crisis in Yemen and other neighboring countries. People know him well for his humanitarian services. At the time, he encouraged all Americans to contribute donations for those suffering on impoverished lands.
- Gigi Hadid: The American fashion model Gigi Hadid advocated about Yemen’s crisis through an Instagram story. She brought awareness by sharing a post from an Instagram account named @muslim. In addition, Hadid provided a post with links for her fans to donate.
- Ben Stiller: Since 2017, Ben Stiller, an American actor, comedian, film producer, film director and writer has been urging citizens to pay attention to countries facing huge humanitarian crises. These countries include Somalia and its neighboring territories. He posted a two-minute video on his Twitter, informing viewers of how citizens are dying due to the lack of resources in countries like Yemen.
- Mark Ruffalo: The American actor and producer who many know for his role in “Avengers: Endgame” has called for citizens to help stop the ongoing illegal war in Yemen. In a video he recorded, Ruffalo informed his viewers that the United States is providing weapons to Saudi Arabia and that Saudi Arabia is using starvation as a tactic of war. He stated that the U.S. involvement is unconstitutional and needs to stop. Ruffalo has urged people to call Congress and vote for the Sanders-Lee Resolution to end the “unauthorized U.S. war in Yemen.”
When celebrities advocate on behalf of countries in need of aid, such as Yemen, they are bringing awareness to millions of their social media followers who were possibly unaware of foreign issues. By informing fans and making generous donations, the celebrities who advocate for Yemen can change and improve the living conditions of the country’s citizens.
– Megan Ha