Presented here are 10 quotes about life and its values:
1. “The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.”
2. “I learned this, at least, by my experiment; that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; new, universal, and more liberal laws will begin to establish themselves around and within him; or the old laws will be expanded, and interpreted in his favor in a more liberal sense, and he will live with the license of a higher order of beings … If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.”
~Henry David Thoreau
3. “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.”
4. “The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.”
5. “In the end, no thought is unthinkable, no problem unshrinkable, no two strangers unlinkable.”
6. “With patience you can even cook a stone.”
7. “You can close your eyes to things you don’t want to see, but you can’t close your heart to the things you don’t want to feel.”
8. “Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why it’s called the present.”
9. “I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work, the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no ‘brief candle’ to me. It is sort of a splendid torch which I have a hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it over to future generations.”
~George Bernard Shaw
10. “The ultimate measure of man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”
~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
As members of this society, we are challenged daily to remember inspirations like these and to value and respect the existence of every human life.
– Ashley Riley