#ActForEqual has become popular on Twitter thanks to the recent Generation Equality Forum, which aims to push the progression of gender equality. Women of the U.N. created the Generation Equality Forum as a global gathering to discuss gender equality. The governments of Mexico and France co-hosted the forum, partnering with youth and civil society. Since the pandemic, existing gender inequalities have become worse. COVID-19 has intensified gender inequality in terms of violence, job loss, income, access to technology and more. The forum aims to confront these issues by “launching a series of concrete, ambitious and transformative actions.” It has set tangible goals for 2030.
Importance of the Hashtag
The Generation Equality Forum has used #ActForEqual to draw attention and bring about action. #ActforEqual allows people to show their support simply by posting the hashtag on social media. It is not only a hashtag but a call to action, urging people to do their part in raising awareness. It also calls attention to the fact that COVID-19 continues to worsen gender inequality globally.
COVID-19 and Gender Inequality
COVID-19 has affected people across the globe in many ways. However, it has disproportionately hurt women.
- Job losses among women are 24% more likely than among men.
- Women’s average income could fall by 50% more than men’s.
- Statistically, one in every three women will face violence during her lifetime, a number that the pandemic has exacerbated.
- Women are 10% less likely to have access to the internet than men.
- Only 45% of women can make decisions about their bodily autonomy, including their sexual and reproductive health.
On top of these factors, Mckinsey and Company estimates that women’s job loss rates due to COVID-19 are about 1.8 times higher than men’s job loss rates globally. Furthermore, 4.5% of women’s work is at risk because of the pandemic, compared with 3.8% of men’s work. Through progressive action, the Generation Equality Forum aims to reduce these figures.
Taking Action Against Gender Equality
The Generation Equality Forum has created action coalitions that focus on the most critical areas of gender equality. These coalitions “catalyze collective action, spark global and local conversations among generations, drive increased public and private investment and deliver concrete, game-changing results.” Each focuses on a particular issue. The six coalitions aim to:
- Promote feminist action in relation to climate.
- Stop gender-based violence.
- Boost feminist movements and leadership.
- Promote economic justice and rights.
- Guarantee women’s bodily autonomy and sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR).
- Use technology and innovation to achieve gender equality.
By focusing on these areas, action coalition leaders plan to see concrete results over the next five years that will lead to lasting change regarding gender equality.
Despite the increased challenges regarding equality between men and women during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Generation Equality Forum is playing its part to raise awareness. These efforts have the potential to elevate women, placing them in an equal position to men across the globe.
– Ariel Dowdy