Of the 31 million people living in Peru, roughly 26 percent of them live in poverty. With the idea of a globally engaged, poverty-free and socially just world, Developing World Connections and its many volunteers work alongside locals to counter poverty in Lima, Peru and surrounding communities among many other countries on different continents.
Developing World Connections’ mission is to connect people and resources through international community development. The organization has impacted nine countries on three different continents so far.
Developing World Connections has worked in Peru, Guatemala, Nepal, India and Kenya among others. Some of the projects include working with children and youth, education and training, food and water security and homes and community building. As a whole, the organization is focused on having a global impact.
In Nepal, Developing World Connections works with Creating Possibilities, an organization dedicated to increasing the rights for women and children. The goal of this partnership is to help women make substantive income to provide their children. In India, Developing World Connections works with Comfort the Children International to create sustainable change.
Developing World Connections bases its projects on a number of guiding principles as follows:
- The main approach is to achieve its goals through sustainable community development. The organization will work with and support community-led projects created based on community needs and priorities. The organization determines these needs and priorities through in-country Host Partners, whom they work with to alleviate poverty, promote human rights and empower communities.
- The second approach is being of service. With its belief that serving others has a greater impact on one’s well-being, Developing World Connections dedicates its time to helping communities through bottom-up, egalitarian and grassroots initiatives.
- Developing World Connections aims to develop meaningful connections with the people and communities it serves, with the purpose being to connect everyone — development partners, community members, volunteers and donors — on a larger scale. These strong connections open up the possibility of enriching each other’s lives, gaining hands-on development experience and learning more about the global community.
- Developing World Connections uses its fourth principle, integrity, accountability and transparency, to form meaningful connections. It contributes honesty and openness to its image while making sure all responsibilities to stakeholders are met.
- The fifth principle puts the fourth one on fellow people, encouraging them to have integrity, accountability and transparency with the world around them to gather a true understanding of the global community.
- Lastly, Developing World Communities puts in an effort to implement projects to help everyone, regardless of race, sex, religion or political affiliations.
– Julia Hettiger