Name: Samara Cidrim
Location: Playa Del Rey, California
Position: Political Affairs Intern
Fundraising Goal: $500
Why are you volunteering your time to serve the world’s poor?
I was born to an underprivileged family in the slums of Brazil. My family was big, and we didn’t have a lot of resources. I know what it feels like to long for a better life.
I was part of a loving and caring Christian community that always helped each other. That community taught me that you can always help someone, regardless of how much or how little you have. I seek to help as I have been helped.
Now, I live in America, and I have way more resources than I could ever have imagined. It is with gratitude that I reach out to help those who have not been as fortunate as I have.
Any interesting tidbits to share?
I’m a very good cook, and I love making delicious stuff in the kitchen. I am fluent in English, Portuguese and Spanish, and I’ve held language lessons in my kitchen to a small community of immigrants. I love to bike ride and do yoga. I am a preschool teacher, and I love working with kids. I volunteered as a community organizer for my church chapter for about two years. I was part of the Speech and Debate team for my university for about two years, and I am a great debater. I love public speaking. I am an avid Christian (but the cool, progressive, Jesus is for everyone kind).
My compassion/humility list:
I will do the following for any friends or family who donates in my honor…
- Babysit ($60 for 3 hours)
- Cook you a three courses Brazilian meal, with traditional drinks and music included ($40 pp)
- Organize your closet ($30)
- Lemonade Stand at our Information booth in Santa Monica ($2 per cup)
- Offer to clean the front of my neighbors yard. Make a post with The Borgen Project logo and some info about TBP and tape it to their doors. Open donations (chance to engage with neighbors/gain supporters/talk about the project)
- Skip a meal: pitch it to my best friends. Instead of buying lunch/fast food one day, they donate the money to the cause.
- Talk to the owner of my restaurant to donate a gift card to South End, so I can resell it. Do it with a couple of small-owned business in the area.
- Host a pool party in the summer : mimosas, floats and loud music. $25 to attend. Food sold for additional money.
- Hold a garage sale. Ask friends to donate items as well.
- Trivia night: have friends over for drinks, snacks and trivia. $30 to participate. Stipulate a prize.
- Fundraising letters: make it personal. Think of your biggest donors and write individual letters for them.
Support Samara’s Fundraising Campaign
* To ensure they receive recognition, please enter the name of the person you are donating on behalf of below.
The Borgen Project is a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization. All donations are tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law. For more information, please contact [email protected] or (206) 471-4148.
To Donate by Mail:
The Borgen Project
1416 NW 46th Street, Suite 105 PMB 145
Seattle, WA 98107
Visit The Borgen Project!
To arrange a tour of the office, please email:
Donate with Phone Apps: Cash App ($BorgenProject) or Venmo.
“Having made tremendous strides on behalf of impoverished families throughout the world, I applaud The Borgen Project for its tireless commitment to ending global poverty. Through strategic advocacy and public education, you are helping to shape U.S. policy for the betterment of mankind.”
– Gov. Jay Inslee (WA)
The Borgen Project has earned the GuideStar Exchange Seal for commitment to transparency.
- View financials
- Success tracker
- Become a sponsor
- Info for including a donation in your will or trust